Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Stony Brook State Park

 Pat and his love of waterfalls...need I say more?

My uncle told him about a state park less than 2 hours from the house so, of course, we were there!

Within minutes of parking the car Pat was leading me over a bridge and up a path, map in hand. We hadn't made it very far and I pointed out to him that I wasn't in the mood for hiking. He assured it would be nothing so I continued on. Finally I said, "So where is this taking us? It better be something good! How much farther?" He pulls out his trusty map and says,  "...oh it's only 2.5 miles."

I'm sorry but hiking 2.5 miles uphill, both ways (well it felt like it), in the heat was not what I had in mind. Especially when we looked over the side and saw people below in the water, laughing, playing and having a great time.When we were almost to what I thought was the top of the mountain, it started raining. Normally this wouldn't have gone over well, but I soon realized it was cooling me off! Finally we reached the other side and there it was - water! Beautiful, clear, cold water!



Pat told me we could follow the water back down towards the bigger falls which would lead us back to the car. He's the one with the map, so I listened and followed. The water was shallow enough that we could walk through it most of the time, it was gorgeous. I stopped for a few photo ops and a little frog that jumped out in front of me and then I noticed that Pat and Maggie weren't walking anymore. As I got closer I saw a cute grin on Pat's face and I realized that they had stopped because we were at the top of the waterfall!



View from the top, notice how small the people are on the right.


View from the bottom.


Back on track, waterfall #2.


The final waterfall, my favorite!




By the time we made it back to the car I was exhausted, barefoot, covered in blisters and starving but I felt good! Another fulfilling and adventurous day. Next up Niagara Falls!


No comments:

Post a Comment