Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Happy 4th of July!

I know this post is a little late but we had such a huge day I needed some time to gather my thoughts...

As soon as we found out that we would be able to make our trip to PA a longer one, Pat informed me that we would definitely be visiting Niagara Falls. For some time now I have been hearing him talk about these jet boats that go up the Niagara River. I really didn't give it much thought until we got there Wednesday afternoon.

The  currents of the Niagara Falls have carved out a 7-mile gorge.  Hundreds of thousands of gallons of water flow over the Falls every minute and as that water enters the narrow rock gorge, it is compressed into the rapids that create the whitewater that the boat would be taking us into! As we sat waiting for instructions, I noticed that many people were wearing bathing suits and most for the women didn't have on any makeup. After some eves dropping I asked, "So how wet do you get?" After lots of laughter one man responded, "Oh just a little."

Excited to board the boat!

We are in the third row, directly in the middle -
the only ones with our hands up.

Niagara's Devil's Hole Rapids boast 15'-20' waves, currents with speeds approaching 20 mph and a solid class 5 rating.  Class 5 rapids are defined as "approaching the limits of navigability, should only be attempted by whitewater experts after taking every available precaution."







Needless to say when we walked off of the boat there was not a dry spot on our bodies. Luckily it was 90 degrees and the sun was  shining. I laid on a huge, hot rock long enough for my shorts to stop dripping and I could tolerate walking around.  After we made our purchases in the gift shop we were in the car and on our way to The Maid of the Mist!

I didn't bother changing my clothes because I have been on this boat in the past and from what I remembered I knew I would be getting wet. As we boarded our second boat of the day everyone received a poncho except for Pat, he refused. We found what we thought would be the best spot to see the falls up close and personal. It starts off at a calm part of the Niagara River and takes you past the American and Bridal Veil Falls, then into mist inside the curve of the Horseshoe Falls.


Waiting in line to board.

I thought this picture did justice to how close we were.


The Maid of the Mist.

My brother and me on the The Maid of the Mist 20 years ago!

As we departed the boat Pat saw people walking from stairs that take you even closer to the Falls. He wasn't going to miss out on that. I told him I would meet him on the observation deck...I had enough water for one day!

That is Pat next to the yellow arrow.

If you look closely you will notice that all of the
sane people are wearing blue ponchos...NOT Pat!!



What a day, but the 4th of July wouldn't be complete without fireworks! On our way home we pass through Olean, NY.  It used to be a tradition, every year my family would make the 45 minute trip to see the fireworks at Bradner Stadium in Olean. We had to stop! 

After our adventurous day we were both starving so we decided to order pizza to eat at our parking spot since we had time to kill before the fireworks started. I got a little confused and we ended up with enough for 30 people.



Happy 4th of July!!! 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment