Friday, May 27, 2011

Waterfalls

Pat and I finally made it back to the mountains! We didn't get up last year so when we heard it was going to be 97 degrees in Columbia we decided to take advantage of the cooler weather.
.
Pat has been studying his maps so he had everything planned out. He decided we would hike to some waterfalls we haven't seen before. We started off the "strenuous" hike in good spirits until we came along some interesting flowers and I realized I left my camera in the car! So Pat ran back while Maggie and I walked back up the trail. And then we started off again.

The closer we got the more we could hear the water. Pat led us off of the path a few times to get a sneak peak. I decided to have Pat and Maggie pose on a rock beside the water for a picture. Then nothing...my battery died!! Of course!
The hike was harder than the ones we have done in the past but definitely worth it! These were some of my favorites. The first waterfall we came to was a little smaller but was surrounded by huge boulders which were great for resting. Maggie took the opportunity to take a swim and cool off before we headed up the trail to next one.

Just as we came to the clearing and overlook for the massive waterfall we encountered a family with two children and a large dog. As we walked by Maggie was excited and trying to pull forward more quickly but Pat held her leash close and began to pass. And all of the sudden, the large dog lunged towards Maggie. She backed under Pats legs to get away. I didn't know what was happening but I heard a lot of barking and soon one of the children was crying. Pat picked up Maggie and moved beyond the family. We stopped to make sure everyone was okay, but didn't get any acknowledgement. As we move along I realized the dog bit Pat!! It wasn't bad but what are the odds?!

We continued on to the bottom of the waterfall and it was amazing. I started off hot but the roaring water created so much wind and mist that I got cold. Our last stop was a smaller waterfall but it was great for jumping from and sliding down. The water was too cold for me but Pat was all over it.

We managed to make it back down the trail without any incidents. As we made our way to Sliding Rock for Pats last "adventure" it started to rain. That's when I made the call to head home. We took the Blue Ridge Parkway which is always beautiful but this time we got caught in a short hail storm! This ended up being a good thing because it led to the most beautiful rainbow. I still can't get over the view of the rainbow from the top of the mountains! It would have made a wonderful picture!

I can't restist sharing the ONLY pictures we got...

Caesars Head
We stop here everytime. We have about 20 pictures
of Pat and me in this same spot!

And these are the infamous flowers.

Since we didn't get any pitures of our own I borrowed some from the internet.
These are waterfalls we hiked to...



This is the one that Pat was jumping off of
and sliding down.


Even though we doubled our hike to get a camera that was dead and Pat got bit by a dog and we were in a hail storm, I can't wait for the next trip!!

No comments:

Post a Comment