Sunday, June 23, 2013

Making Progress


Wednesday I saw the orthopedist to go over the results of my MRI. He delivered the good news that surgery wouldn't be necessary! The MRI showed that the cuboid bone was "crushed" and there is a crack in the ankle joint. The doctor thinks that everything will heal fine but warned me of the possible need for surgery in the future as well as arthritis. He put me in a cast for another 4-6 weeks. I am hoping when I go back in 2 weeks they will give me a walking cast but for now "no weight" so crutches it is. I am getting around the house in a wheel chair so I am more self sufficient. I have managed to do a few loads of laundry, change the sheets and sweep the floors! I am going back to work on Monday, crossing my fingers that my foot won't hate me at the end of the day.

On another note, progress was made around the house this weekend as well. Friday evening Pat started putting up our fence. Not having one is a constant battle with our outdoorsy dogs and with my condition I won't be able to walk them while he is out of town this week. We are lucky to have generous friends that were willing to help out. Pat managed to tip the dingo 15 minutes after they started but with a little help from a chain and a truck that problem was solved. 


Saturday morning the crew arrived early and with one lesson already learned it was smooth sailing. They were on a roll until they dug what would be the last hole straight into a water line, the water shot 15 feet in the air! They took it better than I thought they would, largely in part that Brent was here and he is a plumber. So once again Brent came to the rescue. Today brought a much smaller group of volunteers, just one, Gavin. They worked all day but they got it done. It looks great, the dogs love it and Pat and I can rest easy knowing they are safe.



1 comment:

  1. Hey Melissa! I found you and Pat through Jessie's blog - Pat and I graduated high school together - and I guess we went to high school together too!
    I'm a brand new orthopaedics nurse at Richland Hospital. That sucks about the whole foot/ankle break. I guess wearing the boot isn't that horrible compared to the fact that you could have an external fixator/pins in your bones!!
    I promise, it can be MUCH scarier!!
    Hopefully it will all heal the way it's supposed to and you really won't need surgery.
    We're still young - I'm also hoping arthritis is a LOOOOOOOONG way away ;)
    Good to find y'all on here!!

    ReplyDelete