Saturday, June 30, 2012

Celebrating a Life

As we were packing for Pennsylvania Pat expressed that he would love to wear his faithful linen suit but was afraid it would be to "cheery". I explained to him that we do not morn in dark colors, we celebrate the life that was lived. I also told him that he was our Grandpa and we could wear whatever we wanted!

The service was beautiful and what better place for it than the church he put so much time and work into. Listening to all of the wonderful things that so many people had to say about him reassured me that I didn't see his as a wonderful man just because he is my Grandpa but because he really was amazing. The church was packed with people, some I vaguely remembered from my childhood and many I didn't know. They were all there to show their respect for a man that has made an honorable name for himself in that town.

It is sad that our family gathering was under the circumstances that it was but it is nice to have family to lean on in times of sorrow. When my Grandma passed away 9 years ago, my Grandpa wanted to choose the headstone himself. There was one thing that was very important to him - he wanted everyone to know how much he loved her for all of the years they were married.


Not 62 years....62 1/2!!

I would be proud too!

They now lie next to each other, in Ulysses, PA where they met 74 years ago! And what a beautiful place to be.


This July 4th would have been my Grandma's 90th birthday. I can't help but think about how happy she and Grandpa will be to spend this one together!

No comments:

Post a Comment