Friday, June 22, 2012

A Life Well Lived

David Clayton Baumgarner, 89, was called to his Heavenly Fathers presence, June 14, 2012, in the Heritage Lowman Home, White Rock, SC.



David was born September 25, 1922, to David T. and Esther Pennington Baumgarner, the youngest of 11 children, in Coudersport, PA. He married the love of his life, Ava D. Lucas who preceded him in 2003 after 61 years of marriage.

David was an active member of the Free Methodist Church of Port Allegany, PA, where he served as teacher, board member, and maintenance man, in addition to contributing significant time and effort to the building of the current sanctuary. He quit school after the eighth grade to help support the family, working full time in the woods with his father at the age of thirteen. He was a tireless worker and in spite of his limited formal education, was known for his natural ability as a carpenter, electrician, plumber, mechanic, and all round fix everything guy. He also served in the US Army during World War II.

David was a sterling example of a Christian father to his children: Connie (Bob) Curtis, Cheryl (Tom) Kilburn, Duane (Becky) Baumgarner, and his daughter-in-law, Becky Baumgarner. There could be no better father, grandfather or friend and he will be sadly missed by his children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, many nephews, nieces, and friends. (Obituary)

My Grandpa was a wonderful man, and the relationship he and my Grandma had was even more amazing. They taught my family so many things and showed us how to live a happy and fulfilling life. I am thankful that they raised my Dad the way they did and that they loved my Mom as if she were their own. Anyone that ever met my grandparents knew the love they had for each other as well as the happiness they brought to everyone around them. As sad as I am for myself,  I am happy to know that they are together again, in the place that they both lived their lives to be able spend eternity - Heaven.

In Grandpa's 'big' chair.
Grandma, Grandpa, me and Rick.

Grandpa reading me stories from my children's bible.

Pulling me down the hill in a sled.
Followed by pulling me back up and then down, and up...

Love, Love, Love



The most important men in my life!!

For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better.  Philippians 1:21-23 


1 comment:

  1. I just heard of your Grandfathers passing away and I'm so sorry. I know he was very special to you and remember how lovingly you talked about him. Remember how priviledged you were to have had him with you all those years. He was blessed to see you grow into the beautiful woman you are today. I know you made him so happy. I'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete