Saturday, November 24, 2012

Gobble Gobble!

 This year could go down as the best Thanksgiving ever. We celebrated at Shelly's house along with Ryan and Haley and Jody and Amy.

We wanted to take a casual approach to the day. This meant no waking up at dawn, no dividing tasks, no unpacking china and no dinner time was been set. We were on the unplan plan and it worked out great!

Our matching aprons.
Thanks Mom for making it even more special!

The boys played golf while we prepared the meal. I loved it! No one ever asked, "When is dinner going to be ready?” By the time the guys made it home from the clubhouse they were staving and the last few dishes were finishing in the oven. At 7:00 the table was set and everyone was ready to dig in.

Cutting of the bird!


It doesn't look like much in the picture but we had more than enough food. Including: the obvious, turkey and ham, as well as corn and green bean casseroles, mac 'n' cheese, sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, gravy, dinner rolls, banana bread and  pumpkin pie! I don't usually feel the need to add the following word when referring to food, especially in reference to the holidays, but for those of you that are impressed by it, everything was...homemade (even the pie crust, done the way my Grama would)!

Seeing as this was our first year preparing everything by ourselves I think we did good. I definitely learned a few things but the turkey wasn't dry and that was my only concern!

A day full of cooking and dishes and cooking and cleaning and cooking and dishes had me thinking about how good we had it as children. We played while all of this ‘work’ was going on. We sat down at the table, enjoyed the wonderful meal and then went back to playing. I don’t think I ever thought about what the women were doing in the kitchen. Now that the day has passed and the fun weekend has come to an end I would love to do it all over again but I’m not going to lie, I recall myself saying, “I really enjoyed the day but I’m really glad it’s over!”

Anacapri had an outfit to match! Grandma B doesn't forget anyone.

I'm not sure if it was Thanksgiving we enjoyed the most or spending every minute of our long weekend together. The time reminded us of the many things we have to be thankful for; our parents, spouses, siblings, nieces/nephews, friends and much more!

Including this little girl...

Our littlest Gamecock!

My snuggly polar bear!

No comments:

Post a Comment