Sunday, September 25, 2011

Happy Birthday Grandpa!



This day 89 years ago my grandfather was born, September 25, 1922.

He is one of 12 children. He quit school at 12 years old to start working and help his family. And he continued to do the same until a few years ago.

When I think of Grandpa I think of a strong and loving man. As a child I remember his large, rough hands. He would come in for meals and wash up; I remember his hands being stained from oil or grease or whatever he was working on. He worked from the time he got up in the morning until dinner in the evening. He could fix anything, build anything and as far as our family is concerned, he could do anything. I am so thankful when I think of all of the lasting memories that my Grandpa has made. Every time we visit Pennsylvania we stay in the house that he made additions to and remodeled and go to the church that he help to build.

One of my favorite stories to tell is about a door knob... When my grandparents used to come visit, my Grandpa was his usual self always working or fixing something. And which hardware store was he most likely to go to??? Stier Supply Company! When Grandpa first met Pat he told him that "years ago" (at least 15) he had purchased a door handle set that was on sale from Stier. At the time it was still hanging in the garage but a few visits later and after we were engaged he had installed the door handle. So now there is a piece of Stier in the house that I grew up in and has been in our family for generations!

I am so glad that Grandpa has had an opprotunity to meet and get to know Pat and I can't help but think that it must make him happy that I married someone that is in the building supply business! Unfortunatley, Pat never had the chance to know his grandfathers so he has really enjoyed the opprotunity to "have a Grandpa" as he would say.

Happy Birthday Grandpa! We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment