Sunday, November 28, 2010

Our First Thanksgiving

While this was not our first year to celebrate this holiday together it was our first time as Mr. and Mrs. Stier!
Ryan hosted this year, at his house in Charleston.
Now sometimes it can be a little challenging for me to keep up with the Stiers...
The planning process is very complex - you throw out an idea of where to celebrate and then wait a few days for everyone to disscuss, then you change the plan. This continues for a couple weeks, then a few days before the holiday a final decision is made.
Shelly and Rob stayed with us the night before and after a little catching up we all went to bed Wednesday night with no plan... normal for Pat, not for me. I tell myself to "go with the flow."
Pat was the first awake Thanksgiving morning. He did his own thing and before long his phone started ringing.
Becky wanted to know if we were riding with them... "Yes, we will," then the phone rings again... "No, we won't be ready. We will just drive ourselves."
We slowly start to wake up, sip coffee and chat. This is what I refer to as the calm before the storm.
Phone rings again, this time it's Jody. He is traveling through town from Charlotte, Pat says, "well turn around and we can all ride together." Quickly I do the math, there are 4 of us, one of Jody and a dog. Shelly must have been thinking the same thing because we both agreed that was not a good idea.
And finally we arrived at Ryans at 2:00 that afternoon.
I am beginning to think that this will become the norm in years to come. And the changing of plans and rushing around will be what I associate with the holidays.  I honestly think it is good for the organized side of me and slowly I am learning to love it!!

My new sisters.
We were sad that Jenny and her family couldn't be
with us but at least we had JuJu!

No comments:

Post a Comment