Monday, August 20, 2012

Is it Over Already???

After many weeks of wishing, planning, and missing out we were FINALLY able to spend a weekend at the lake!

It has been so long. I found myself standing in my bathing suit in the middle of the yard wondering what to do. Oh yeah, we are supposed to relax when we are here! Maggie and I enjoyed basking in the sunlight while watching Pat ride his jet skis (they are identical so I'm not sure why he needs to ride both of them but whatever??).

Maggie did more lounging than watching

Soon Jesse came to join Pat in the jet ski fun and after a few minutes I decided I could find something more constructive to do with my time then watch grown men play in the water like little boys.


Earlier in the day when I was arranging my towel on the boat I noticed that there were feathers everywhere. Hmmm? When I got up to leave Maggie started sniffing around the storage compartment. She stuck her head in and quickly pulled it out. There was a duck in there!

With eggs!

This spring we had birdies hatch in our back yard and ever since I have taken a liking to birds of all kinds. I never thought much about them before but now I notice them everywhere.

I love the Purple Martins, they are so cute!

This guy is always hanging around the cove.
I have been trying to get a picture of him standing on one
of the docks but no luck yet, he is so long and skinny!


And, of course, the ducks. I think it is so funny that the males are the pretty ones.
Thank goodness that doesn't hold true for humansJ

They are especially beautiful in flight.

After I grew bored of bird watching I went back to my original plan of finding something constructive to do. I recently realized that I missed my calling as a plumber. 3 years ago I did a bathroom renovation at my house and told myself I would NEVER do that again but...a few months ago I helped my parents replace one of their existing toilets with a new low flow model. It took longer than it should have and the seat is a little crooked but it works! So I thought I would try to help them out again by installing the last toilet while they are out of town. I got out wrenches - the cranky kind, the kind with the screw, the ones that look like a 'c', I had all of them. I meticulously read the instruction, being sure that every screw was where it should be---Just kidding! There are only 3 pieces to a toilet and very few parts to hold them together. Once assembled I put it in place, turned on the water and voilá, it worked!

Until I sat on it and almost fell off! It is slanted. It must be the floor; surely it couldn't be my mistake??? I will be back out there later this week, I am not giving up on my plumbing skills that easily.

After Jesse left, we enjoyed a boat ride before Pat and I went to the ever-so-classy Buffalo Creek Grille. You can always tell when summer is coming to an end by how many tables are available at the marina restaurant and for a Saturday night there were quite a few. We enjoyed a meal of all things fried and slept like babies that night. The rain on Sunday was a good excuse to lounge ALL day. It doesn't matter if we are outside enjoying the water or inside enjoying the view; it's always nice to be at the lake.


I don't know if it has something to do with getting older or the events that have/haven't place but the summer season seems to be getting shorter and shorter. I know there are a few "official" weeks left but the end of summer 2012 is in site.


No comments:

Post a Comment